With Lois Mueller, VGM
Date: August 17 – 19, 2018
Skill Level: All
Class Fee: $225.00
The symmetrical rosemaling style of Rogaland will be taught in this class. History of rosemaling, color mixes, line work, backgrounding techniques, and painting techniques will be shared. The design will be taught in a step-by-step manner making it possible for all levels of experience to attend the session. The class will be taught using acrylic paints, but oils are welcome. The instructor has had experience painting with both mediums.
Paints and mediums will be available for use in the class. If you are a beginner, you do not need to purchase the paints in advance of the class. The instructor will provide an instruction packet which includes text, a photo, and a line drawing of the design. Brushes will be available for purchase at the class. If you are an experienced painter, please bring your brushes and other supplies. The project to be painted is a 12” scoop plate with an outside bead. A simple scoop plate is also acceptable. If you already have a plate in your inventory, you may use that.
Materials fee: (To be collected directly from students by instructor in class)The cost of the plate is $20. Background paint will be provided at the class. The cost of the 4 brushes needed is approximately $25.
Lois Mueller has been rosemaling since 1977 and teaching since 1979. She began teaching at technical colleges and for Rosemaling Associations, but now travels and teaches throughout the USA, Taiwan, and Canada. Lois has taught at Vesterheim, Society of Decorative Painter’s Conventions, Concordia Language Villages, Sons of Norway Lodges in Indiana and Tennessee, Decorative Painting chapters, Rosemaling Associations and Scandinavian shops. She has written 9 instructional books teaching the basics of the Telemark, Rogaland, Valdres and Gudbrandsdal styles of rosemaling. Lois also has a DVD that highlights the basics of transparent Telemark. She is a former director of an art gallery where she taught children’s art classes.
Honors that she has received include:
- A Gold Medal for Excellence in Rosemaling (VGM) from Vesterheim in Decorah, IA in 1998
- An invitation to paint an ornament for the White House Christmas tree which included a reception at the White House in 2004
- An invitation to paint a violin for the Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestra annual fund raiser in 2004 and 2006
- A commission to paint a violin for the Society of Decorative Painter’s permanent collection in 2004 and having that violin on the front cover of their magazine
- An invitation to teach rosemaling for 2 weeks in Taiwan in 2006
- An invitation to paint a piece for a traveling exhibit that took place in Japan in 2008 and that piece has become a part of the permanent collection of the Society of Decorative Painter’s in Wichita, KS
- A request to paint an angel for The Decorative Arts Collection in Atlanta, GA in 2010
- A tine on the front cover of “The Decorative Painter” and the piece is now part of SDP’s permanent collection
- She is included in the WI State Arts Board Web Page: www.wisconsinfolks.org. She has, also, written several articles for “Painting”, “The Decorative Painter”, and “PaintWorks”.
Lois’s website: nordicdesignswi.com